Dobre Miasto

The next town on our route is Dobre Miasto. Its history dates back to medieval times – it was granted city rights back in 1329. The collegiate church, which has survived to this day, was built in 1357- 1389; now it is the Holy Saviour and All Saints’ church – a minor basilica. Quite surprisingly, the church was built on a marshy site and its foundations rest on oak stilts. Together with the accompanying buildings, the church makes up a rectangular complex whose shape resembles that of a stronghold. The collegiate church is one of the largest hall churches in Warmia. The church interior is finished in the baroque style with such features as the altars (the high altar made in 1748 and the side altars: the Throne of Grace, made about 1500 and the Holy Trinity altar) and the baroque pulpit, made in 1693.
Other noteworthy landmarks in the town include the 18th-century St. Nicolas church, built at the site of the former cemetery for criminals, and the wooden St. Nicolas chapel. Until 1945 it was a hospital chapel and it is currently a Ukrainian-Byzantine parish church.
When in Dobre Miasto, one can also see the “Stork Tower”. It used to be part of the non-existent fortifications and its name is derived from the stork nest on its top. Currently, it houses a branch of the “Pojezierze” Cultural Society with the historical museum of the town.