From the uplands one can drive down to Elbląg, situated below the uplands. One of the largest towns in the area, it was established by the Teutonic Knights in 1237. There are some places worth seeing in the town, one of them being the St. Nicolaus Cathedral, built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. Inside, there are valuable objects, such as late-Gothic triptychs, wooden figures of the apostles in the nave, a bronze font made in 1387. Another interesting sight is the Market Gate from 1309, with the remains of the town fortifications. Archaeological excavations have been conducted in the Old Town for several years. During World War II, almost the entire Old Town was destroyed. Now, archaeologists are uncovering the foundations of houses, finding many artefacts on the way; this proves that the citizens of Elbląg were wealthy people. The Old Town is being slowly restored; obviously, efforts are being made to make it look architecturally similar to that from before the last war.